Servings: makes about 2 quartsTime: 30 minutes plus freezeDifficulty: easy
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulls removed, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vodka, vanilla extract or liqueur or alcohol
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ice cream cones, for serving, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Place strawberries on sheet pan, toss with sugar and bake for 25 minutes or until soft and syrupy. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cold. When chilled, add to a food processor with condensed milk and pulse until the mixture is still chunky or smooth, your preference. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cream, and with an electric beater, whip until soft peaks form Add in the extract and powdered sugar and briefly beat in. Do not over-whip. Add about 1/3 of the strawberry mixture and by hand, with a spatula gently stir in. Add in the remainder and continue to fold.
- Place in a 9 x 5 loaf pan and spread the top smooth. Put in freezer and once firm to the touch, cover with plastic wrap or foil. Continue to freeze for a total of 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, remove ice cream from freezer and place in refrigerator for 10–15 minutes or until ice cream softens enough to scoop.