1 stick butter
1 c brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
3 granny smith apples
cinnamon to taste
1/2 c raisins, optional
1 loaf french bread, sliced 1/2″ thick
1 1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
nutmeg to taste
1/2 c sliced almonds, for garnish
1/2 c whipping cream
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1. Combine butter, brown sugar & water in saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling stirring frequently. Pour this mixture into a 9×13″ pan and allow to cool 20-30 minutes.
2. Place sliced apples over brown sugar mixture in bottom of pan in rows close together, overlapping is fine. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg & raisins if desired.
3. Place sliced bread on top of apples. Mix eggs, milk & vanilla and pour over bread.
4. Cover & refridgerate overnight or for at least 3 hrs. to let the bread throughly absorb the egg mixture.
5. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden and crispy on top. Invert onto platter for serving. If any apples stick you can remove them with a spatula and just arrange on top.
6. Creme topping is optional but delicious! Just whip all ingredients on high until thickened and serve a generous spoonful on top of each serving.